Saturday, January 5, 2013

Turkey Dripping

 
By all accounts, today is Twelfth Night which means the Christmas tree must come down if we’re not to have bad luck in 2013. This is my recently revised opinion after a quick foray round Wikipedia and other (not always but mostly) reliable sources. Tomorrow is Epiphany or the Feast of Kings. Traditions and meanings are complicated and variable so I leave you the links to read for yourself if it piques your interest. Suffice to say I shall nominate myself as Lord of Misrule and king for a day by making sure I get the slice of cake with the bean in.

Back to turkey dripping. It’s a once a year affair as long as I remember to pour off some of the fat and juices from the turkey roasting pan on Christmas day before making the gravy. The dripping has been sitting in a sealed pot in the fridge ever since. Spread it thinly on white toast and sprinkle with salt. This toastie, roastie sandwich instantly recalls the smell and flavour of that Christmas bird. I sense a collective wrinkling of noses but dripping used be perfectly legit as a savoury spread. Nowadays I’m sure it’s considered horribly unhealthy. Luckily, I survived to tell the tale.

3 comments:

  1. I think the jury is out on the subject of Twelth Night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I think the jury is out on the subject of when to take down your Xmas decs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you are right. Apparently the tree spirits can create mischief in your home if you don't let them out :-)

      Delete